The job interview is your opportunity to make a great first impression. And, how you dress for the interview plays a big role in the impression you make. It is always a good idea to plan ahead by having at least one good interview outfit ready to go at a moment’s notice so that you don’t need to worry about what to wear to a short-notice interview.
Here are six tips to help you dress for success so that your choice of outfit leaves a great lasting first impression.
1) Be Over-Dressed Rather Than Under-Dressed. Wearing a jacket dresses up your outfit but can easily be taken off if you feel as if you are over-dressed. However without one, there’s nothing you can do if you arrive at an interview and realize you are under-dressed.
2) Keep it Simple. Wear dark or muted colours with simple patterns and, if you wear jewellery, keep it to a minimum. These choices keep you looking polished and professional without having your outfit detracting from your interviewer’s focus.
3) Know Your Audience. If the role you are interviewing for is in a ‘business casual’ workplace, wear a suit anyway or at the very least, a nice top with dress pants or a skirt. If you are interviewing for a corporate role, wear a suit and collared blouse for a more professional look.
4) Wear Properly Fitting Clothes. Your clothes should have enough material so that the fabric doesn’t pull when you sit or walk. Skirts should be a least knee length and should always be paired with pantyhose, even in the summer. Slinky dresses, plunging necklines or short skirt hemlines do not leave the impression you want and should be avoided.
5) Keep Makeup to a Minimum. When picking eye shadows, blush and lipstick colours, choose earth tones for a more natural look. Keep your eyes simple, your foundation light and your lips looking bright and natural. Aim for refreshed and awake look rather than overly done up.
6) Clean and Press your Clothes. If your interview outfit is dry clean only, be sure to take it to the cleaners right after an interview so that it is always ready for another one. If you can clean the outfit at home, make sure everything is clean and pressed the night before.